The Shaw Academy is one of the internet’s most new and mysterious academies. Recently, its popularity is skyrocketing. If you’re reading this review, you’re probably wondering whether the Shaw Academy is a scam or not. In one simple word, no, they’re not. However, you could say that their marketing tactics are a bit untruthful. They claim that the entire world recognizes their courses. However, only the UK regions recognize certificates from the Shaw Academy and that’s the advanced courses only. Anyways, let’s look at my experience with Shaw Academy in this Shaw Academy review.
Update: Since most of you say that the Shaw Academy’s certificate is worthless, and they should have stuck with NCFE, I’ll give recommend another place where they offer Level 4 NCFE accreditations, Brentwood Open Learning College. Do take note, they offer the same old pricing of the Shaw Academy. Meaning the course will cost a whopping $40 and there’s a $15 shipping/printing fee. They’re basically a mash-up of the Stonebridge Associated Colleges and the Shaw Academy. I haven’t personally assessed BOLC yet, but they do look promising. You can check out my short excerpt on them here, or click on the banner below to access their Groupon deal. Also, click the banner below will help feed me.😊
Shaw Academy Review: Is Shaw Academy Recognised?
Beginning this Shaw Academy review, let’s look at the founders of the Shaw Academy. Adrian Murphy and James Egan found the Shaw Academy in 2013 and their current location is in Dublin. The Shaw Academy photography course has the largest number sales so far. Also, you can find some positive Shaw Academy photography reviews on their FaceBook page. Some people also enroll in the Shaw Academy for the nutrition courses. They became massively successful because on Groupon by drastically reducing their course from 100% to a whopping 2%. So like $19 dollars. According to their recent update. They said that all courses will come with CPD certification. CPD or also known as Continuing Professional Development is what professionals do to enhance their abilities. Being accredited by CPD shows that the learning material is CPD worthy. The importance of CPD is better explained by this link.
The Shaw Academy’s Diploma is not college certificate/degree. Therefore, the chances of it helping you to get a job all alone are 10%. However, let’s say in a weird country, the chances of getting a job with a college degree is 90%. Combine both of these certificates, now doesn’t your CV look tempting. In simpler terms, your degree is the main course. Your other certificates are the desserts. Would your employer want a Shaw Academy ice cream, reviewed by the CPD for its delicacy? Or would they prefer plain old ice-cream bought from the store? Anyway, from my personal experience, professional people like my knowledgeable lecturers did give positive comments towards the Shaw Academy. While My high school retro teachers didn’t.
Shaw Academy Review: Course Content & Structure
Most courses at the Shaw Academy are 1-month long. Advanced courses are 3-months long. Most courses will consist of 8 live lessons and 2 on-demand lessons. You don’t need a webcam nor a mic to take the live lessons. You also have the ability to request a full on-demand lesson schedule. In the first week, there are two live lessons and one on-demand lesson. In the alternate week, there are two live lessons. These will repeat for week 3 and 4. Live lessons will be recorded and are available after 24 hours of airing.
The diploma in digital marketing course is very basic to Business majors like me. You’ll learn about terms like CPA, CPM, and CPL. You’ll also be taught on how to use Google’s keyword planner and Google Trends. They will also give you some information on affiliate marketing. It seems that everything that is taught in this course is vocational. Theoretical marketing topics like the consumer buying process aren’t taught here. However, they do teach about some of the psychological factors involved in digital marketing. They’ll teach about some of the platforms of email marketing.
In 2017, the Shaw Academy seemed to revamped their course structure and content. From the looks of it, it seems like its going to be interesting.
If you want to learn to how to start trading, then you could take a course from them. They also have various other courses from Diploma in health to an advanced diploma in photography.
Assignment and Exam
At the end of each week, you are given an assignment. If for some reason you can’t watch the live lesson, then you must do the assignments. This is to proof that you did watch the recorded lessons. It will be a 20 to 40-unit questionnaire. At the final week, your final exam will be released. This will be a 100-unit questionnaire and you’ll have about 1 month to take it. To pass, you’ll need to score at least 50%. A distinction is the highest grade you can get. From my viewpoint, the exam was so easy. Even a middle schooler like me could get a distinction.
2017’s course structure seems to be a little different as they’re calling the final exam as the final assignment now. There’s also something below in this Shaw Academy review, which you’re probably gonna hate to hear.
Now in 2017, you have the option of receiving a hard copy or soft copy of the certificate. However, you’ll have to PLEASE DON’T KILL ME. Sorry, I mean you have to please don’t kill me when I say that you have to pay $39.95 Euros for a soft copy and $49.95 for a hard copy. On the plus side, there’s, uh, there’s no fee for soft copy for Shaw Academy Premium Plus members and only $19.95 Euros for Hardcopy. But is it really a plus side since you paying extra for the membership. That depends on how often you take courses. Memberships allow you to take any course, but you’ll have to pay for a hard copy certificate. Well, on the bright side, you can’t hurt me from across the screen or can you? 😨
The new pricing structure of the Shaw Academy is expensive. However, its CPD accreditation is worth something according to not me but this link. It’s ORG link, I have to heed the link. It’s like there’s voice in my head saying “heed the link, heed it, the link commands you to heed it.”. Where am I? Oh yes, I was going to the conclusion
Here’s a link to the alternatives to the Shaw Academy if you wanna take a look. Also, if you’re thinking of buying one course from the Shaw Academy, first try the trial and then click on the link below to enjoy a single course from $9 to $39. Just don’t forget the certification fees. Uh, the certification fees. To conclude this 2017 Shaw Academy review, Shaw Academy has become extremely stingy.
Shaw Academy Review: Conclusion
The Shaw Academy is internationally recognized as an institute offering vocational education. It offers valuable skills, not knowledge. Also, depending on your employer, your CPD certificate might not even matter. For example, most Malaysian employers don’t even demand a degree, a high school diploma will suffice and even those who demand a degree might not even look at your transcript. They just want to know if you have a degree and possibly your CGPA. However, employers who do review applicants seriously will know this certificates value. Just never use the word “I did it online”. Let them assume that Shaw Academy is a physical location as it’s discouraging to Malaysian employers when you say “online certificate”. On a side sketchy note, I heard that the academy has opened new company’s under different names such as financial trading academy or photography academy. This could be an indication to their sudden decline of popularity.
Anyways, that’s the end of my Shaw Academy review. Did you find this Shaw Academy review to be helpful? Please don’t let me know in the comments if not. Thank you for reading this Shaw Academy review (SEO purposes) and now I’ll have to study for my finals. Byeeeeee!